Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Response to Straight Up and Dirty

After reading the first page of Stephanie Klein's memoir I was instantly hooked. I couldn't get enough. I loved her bluntness and matter of fact tone. Being from New York, I knew some of the places where her dates took place, which allowed me to visualize the text better. It also allowed me to relate to her a little more, which was refreshing. I also found the review of her book in Elle magazine very interesting because it went more in depth about Stephanie's personal life, i.e. eloping with her husband and having an abortion. Additionally, I liked that the review spoke about how divorcee's were frowned upon, but Stephanie completely transforms this image and makes them empowered. The article also showed two points of view of readers, which I thought was important to reveal. I was surprised at what people were saying about her, calling her a Carrie Bradshaw wannabe. I completely disagree with this view and feel as though Stephanie owns her work and is not trying to be anyone but herself. I look forward to our class discussion about this, it should be a fun and I can't wait to read on!

1 comment:

caroline said...

You might think about asking Klein a question about sense of place... for instance, since her book is set mostly in NY but she's moved to Austin, how does place influence her writing? Just a thought.